IT Essential v4.1 Chapter 4-5
1. Refer to the exhibit. During a Windows Vista installation, the Select Your Computer’s Current Location screen fails to display. What could be a possible reason for the absence of this screen?
*The network card driver was incorrectly installed.
2. When troubleshooting a printer problem, a technician finds that the operating system was automatically updated with a corrupt device driver. Which solution would resolve this issue?
*Roll back the driver.
3. Which three settings are available to personalize the appearance of the desktop on a Windows Vista computer? (Choose three.)
4. In which two situations should a technician create a restore point? (Choose two.)
*before an operating system update
*before installing a new device driver
5 .A user is running Windows Vista and has an application that runs in Windows XP but the application fails to run in Vista. In which Vista mode should the user try running the application?
6. A user in a large manufacturing company uses a PC that is connected to the company network. Where should the user look to find a server attached to the network?
*My Network Places
7. Refer to the exhibit. During the installation of Windows Vista, you are prompted with a screen that asks for a username and password. What type of account is created when you select Next after entering a username and password?
*A user that has Super User rights for this installation.
8. A technician has a computer that is unable to boot Windows XP properly. The technician has decided that it is necessary to attempt a repair of XP. Which utility will be run if the technician selects Repair XP from the XP boot disk?
9. When a computer boots from the Windows Vista disc, which three functions are performed if the Custom (advanced) option is selected? (Choose three.)
*Changes to disk partitions can be made.
*A clean copy of Windows Vista is installed.
*The location of the Windows installation can be selected.
10. What are two features of upgrading Windows 2000 to Windows XP? (Choose two.)
*The file system is upgraded to NTFS.
*Windows 2000 applications and settings are kept.
11. Which set of guidelines is used to ensure that programmers develop applications that are compatible with an operating system?
12. A user decides to install a new version of Windows Vista but needs to retain the configurations and customizations of the current Windows XP operating system. Which software can be used to achieve this?
*Windows User State Migration Tool
13. A technician has finished installing Windows XP. What should the technician do to verify that all hardware has been installed correctly?
*Use the Device Manager utility to ensure that all the devices are operational.
14. A technician has many new computers to set up. The technician completely configures one master computer and makes an image of the hard drive. This image is then installed on the other computers. What is this process called?
15. A technician thinks that the file system on a computer has a problem because Windows XP is reporting data integrity issues. Which Windows XP utility will check the file system for errors?
16. While performing preventive maintenance, a technician notices that the operating system is missing updates. How can the technician enable automatic updates?
*Run the Automatic Updates utility from the Control Panel.
17. Windows Vista has a feature called the Sidebar. Which three types of items can be contained within the Sidebar? (Choose three.)
18. A technician is attempting to create multiple partitions on a hard disk. This will allow for storing the operating system and data files on separate partitions. What is the maximum number of primary partitions per hard drive that is supported by Windows XP?
19. A technician needs to upgrade the file system on a Windows XP computer from FAT32 to NTFS. Which course of action should be taken to upgrade the file system to NTFS?
*Run the Microsoft Convert utility.
20. A user reports that a Windows XP system is unable to boot properly. How can the technician advise the user to boot into Safe Mode?
*Reboot the system, press and hold F8 until a menu is displayed, and then select Safe Mode.
21. A technician installing Windows Vista has come to the point where the product activation key is requested. What occurs if a product key is unavailable?
*The user will be asked for a product key, but the installation can continue without a key.
22. Once minimum hardware requirements are satisfied, where should a technician look to determine if the computer hardware has been tested with Windows XP?
*the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List
23. A company with 40 computers needs to reduce repair costs, decrease downtime, and improve reliability. Which task will meet these needs?
*Develop a preventive maintenance plan.
24. Which operating mode is used by Windows XP to run a DOS application?
25. What would be the result of having a corrupt Master Boot Record?
*The operating system will fail to start.
26. What are three features of the Microsoft Management Console (MMC)? (Choose three.)
*MMC logs a history of application events.
*It organizes operating system snap-ins.
*It displays computer performance information.
27. As a user attempts to boot the computer, the message “NTLDR is missing” is observed on the screen. What will result from this situation?
*The operating system will fail to load.
28. A user installs a new sound card driver in a computer that is working properly. After installing the driver for the new sound card the computer fails to boot. Which quick fix can the user implement to return to the previous working state?
*boot to Last Known Good Configuration
29. A technician needs to upgrade the operating system on a computer from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional. When the technician inserts the XP disc in the computer, the setup wizard fails to start. Which command can be used to start the upgrade?
30. A technician has installed new video drivers on a Windows XP computer and now the monitor shows distorted images. What startup mode can the technician use to access a new driver on the network?