Final Exam – CCNA Discovery: Networking for Home and Small Businesses (Version 4.0) FIX
Which network design layer provides a connection point for end user devices to the network?
What type of cable would be required to connect a Linksys router to a wired PC?
What is a function of the distribution layer in the hierarchical design model?
to provide latency free switching
to organize end devices in small manageable groups
to provide connectivity using the high-speed backbone
#to provide connectivity between smaller local networks
1. Which protocol is used by a client to browse the web server?
2. As an assignment, a computer science student needs to present data in binary format. What are the two possible values that the student can use? (Choose two.)
3. Refer to the exhibit. Host A sends a message to a group of four computers out of the ten computers on this network. Which type of message does host A send?
4. What is the function of the DNS server?
It maps the IP address to the MAC address.
*It translates a computer or domain name to the associated IP address.
It manages the domain that clients are assigned to.
It accepts HTTP requests from clients.
5. TCP/IP data transmission between the source and destination host is de-encapsulated in four steps:
A. The TCP header is removed.
B. Bits are decoded and the destination MAC address is recognized.
C. The IP header is removed and the contents are passed to the next layer.
D. The Ethernet header and trailer are removed.
What is the correct sequence of these steps?
A, B, C, D
A, C, B, D
B, C, D, A
*B, D, C, A
C, A, B, D
6. All hosts within a domain receive the same frame that originates from one of the devices. The domain is also bounded by routers. What type of domain is this?
7. Which protocol is used by a client to retrieve an e-mail from a remote server using a TCP/IP connection?
8. Which two statements correctly describe MAC addresses? (Choose two.)
*MAC addresses are used to identify a specific NIC.
MAC addresses contain a network number and unique host identification.
*MAC addresses are physical addresses.
MAC addresses are always assigned to network devices by a network administrator.
MAC addresses are Layer 3 addresses.
9. Which of the following are transport layer protocols of the TCP/IP model? (Choose two.)
10. Which two statements are characteristics of DHCP services? (Choose two.)
A DHCP client determines the lease time for using the IP address that is supplied by the DHCP server.
An integrated router acts as the DHCP server to provide the IP address to the ISP.
*DHCP clients send a DHCP Discover message to the destination IP address of 255.255.255.255.
The DHCP server maps the IP addresses to host names.
*The integrated router acts as a DHCP server for internal hosts on local networks.
11. A small company owns one older AP that provides a maximum data rate of 11 Mb/s. The company wants to add a newer AP that will provide a faster data rate but be compatible with the existing AP. What two wireless standards are referenced in this scenario? (Choose two.)
12. What layer is the first point of entry for a host into the network?
13. When is the use of a DSL modem necessary?
when a cellular telephone provides the service
when a high-speed connection is provided over a cable TV network
*when a high-speed digital connection is required over the regular telephone line
when a satellite dish is used
14. A network technician is required to provide access to the Internet for a large company. What is needed to accomplish this task?
private IP addresses for each host
static IP addresses for each host
15. Which two statements are true about network applications? (Choose two.)
Microsoft Word is an example of a network application.
*Network applications are accessible from a remote computer.
Network applications are installed on a special type of computer that supports only network applications.
*Network applications are installed on a network server.
Network applications are accessible by one computer at a time.
16. Refer to the exhibit. Which statement is true based on the information that is shown in the exhibit?
*All wireless devices that are connected to this AP must have an assigned SSID of University.
Any wireless client that is attached to this AP must have the same IP address and SSID.
The AP is not physically wired to the local LAN.
This configuration is found only in an ad hoc wireless network.
17. Which statement accurately describes what network devices do in the distribution layer of the three layer design model?
They interconnect individual hosts.
They interconnect multiple companies.
*They interconnect local network segments.
They interconnect the company network to the ISP.
18. What are two advantages of purchasing a preassembled computer? (Choose two.)
*The cost is comparatively lower.
High-performance graphics and gaming applications are supported.
*There is a negligible waiting period for assembly.
This type of computer is useful for knowledgeable consumers with special needs.
The user can specify high-performance components.
19. What is the most common reason that ISPs provide symmetrical transfer services?
to address data transfer needs of home users
to download significantly more than upload
*to host servers on the Internet
to work with applications that require less bandwidth
20. What are two examples of peripheral input devices? (Choose two.)
21. What is an advantage of purchasing a custom-built computer?
It is beneficial for less knowledgeable consumers.
The waiting period for assembly is negligible.
The cost is lower compared to a computer that has been preassembled.
*The user can specify high-performance components to meet specific needs.
22. Which three address ranges can be used to depict private IP addresses? (Choose three.)
*10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
127.16.0.0 to 127.16.255.255
126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52
*172.16.1.0 to 172.16.1.255
*192.168.22.0 to 192.168.22.255
184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
23. Where do ISPs get the public addresses that they assign to end users?
ISPs create the addresses themselves.
ISPs are assigned addresses through the RFC.
ISPs obtain their addresses automatically.
*ISPs obtain address blocks from registry organizations.
24. For an IP address, what component decides the number of bits that is used to represent the host ID?
25. What is the default subnet mask for the IP address 18.104.22.168?
26. What is the purpose of pop-up blocker software?
It detects and removes spyware.
It detects and removes viruses.
*It prevents the display of advertisement windows.
It removes unwanted e-mail.
27. What is the purpose of spam filter software?
It detects and removes spyware.
It detects and removes viruses.
It prevents the display of advertisement windows.
*It examines incoming e-mail messages to identify the unsolicited ones.
28. Which part of the electromagnetic spectrum is commonly used by wireless LANs?
Industrial Scientific and Medical (ISM)
*radio frequency (RF)
29. Your school network blocks all websites related to online gaming. What type of security policy is being applied?
identification and authentication
30. Refer to the graphic. What feature can be installed on the Linksys integrated router to convert private IP addresses to Internet-routable addresses?
31. Which statement is true about packet filtering?
It recognizes and filters specific types of attacks.
*It permits access based on IP address.
It is performed from a host network device.
It translates an internal address or group of addresses into a public address that is sent across the network.
32. Which type of computer uses an integrated monitor and keyboard?
33. How does a crossover cable connect two routers?
It connects the pins that are used for receiving on one router to the pins that are used for receiving on the other router.
*It connects the pins that are used for transmitting on one router to the pins that are used for receiving on the other router.
It disconnects the transmit pins and uses only the receive pins.
It uses the same pins for transmitting and receiving.
34.Select the connection that would require a straight-through cable.
a switch to a hub
*a router to a switch
a switch to a switch
a router to a router
35. What information within a data packet does a router use, by default, to make forwarding decisions?
the destination MAC address
*the destination IP address
the destination host name
the destination service requested
36. Refer to the exhibit. What is the effect of setting the security mode to WEP on the Linksys integrated router?
The WEP security mode enables the AP to inform clients of its presence.
*The WEP security mode encrypts network traffic during transmission between the AP and the wireless client.
The WEP security mode generates a dynamic key each time a client establishes a connection with the AP.
The WEP security mode identifies the WLAN.
37. What data communication technology uses low-power radio waves to transmit data?
fiber optic cable
38. What is an advantage of selecting an operating system that has a commercial license over one with a GPL license?
The commercial license-based operating system ensures full access to the source code for everyone.
The commercial license-based operating system ensures that everyone can participate in the enhancement of the product.
*The commercial license-based operating system provides structured support.
The commercial license-based operating system is released free of charge.
39. A learner wants to interact with the operating system of a computer. Which two methods can be used for this? (Choose two.)
third party software
40. Within a local network, which two items must be unique on a computer for it to successfully connect to the network? (Choose two.)
default gateway address
operating system version
41. Refer to the exhibit. Assume that the exhibited output is from a host that is connected to a Linksys integrated router. What is the first thing that should be checked while using a bottom-up troubleshooting approach?
the default gateway on the host
the IP address on the host
the IP address on the router
*the link status LED on the front of the router
the subnet mask on the host
42. The area covered by a single AP is known as what?
*basic service set
independent basic service set
extended service set
43. What is the purpose of the ipconfig /release command?
*It forces a client to give up its current IP address.
It forces a client to give up its current MAC address.
It forces the client to clear all the MAC address to IP address associations it has learned.
It shows the current IP configuration on the client.
44. Which statement is true about UTP cable termination?
Cables with RJ-45 connectors are always preterminated.
An RJ-45 connector is used on only one end of the UTP cable.
Up to 2 to 3 inches of cable may be untwisted at each end of the cable to allow for easier installation of the RJ-45 connector.
*The RJ-45 connector should be pushed over the wire jacket for a smooth connection.
45. Which installation option should be chosen when the current operating system is too damaged to work properly?
46. What is the meaning of the term crosstalk?
*interference of signals between wire pairs
loss of signal strength as distance increases
damage of the signal when two bare wires touch
strengthening of a signal by a networking device
47. Which two causes of networking problems are related to the physical layer? (Choose two.)
*improper operation of cooling fans
incorrect MAC address
incorrect default gateway
incorrect subnet mask
48. Refer to the exhibit. What cabling fault does the exhibit represent?
49. A user is unable to send e-mail. To begin troubleshooting this problem, the network technician uses the browser on the PC and tries to access some popular Internet websites. Which troubleshooting approach is being followed?
trial and error
50. Refer to the exhibit. A wireless DHCP client is unable to access the web server. Given the output that is shown in the exhibit, what two things should the network technician verify first to troubleshoot this problem? (Choose two.)
*the wireless client configuration for DHCP
the default gateway
the firewall configuration
the physical connectivity between the server and the client